Sunday, December 20, 2009

Quail Hunting at P Arrow Plantation


Most of my days chasing quail have been spent in the famed south Georgia quail belt. So when my friend Jeremy Brown invited me to accompany him to the P Arrow plantation in the heart of Alabama's Black Belt, I was more than just curious about the quaility of hunting I would find.
The lodge at P Arrow is beautiful, a refined southern quail lodge that immediately feels like home. The proprietor, Drayton Pruitt is the quintessential southern gentlemen, and he welcomed us with a wide smile and warm greetings, I could tell immeditely Drayton operated P Arrow more for the love of the outdoors than the love of the profits derived from such a buisness.
Our hunt was lead by our guide Wesley and the dogs were handled and points called by Pete who rode ahead of our jeep atop a fine Tennessee Walker. Unlike the endless sea of open pine forest one finds in South Georgia, P Arrow's land is a mix of rolling wood lots and open fields. The property harkens back to the way southern quail hunts used to be. Quail love edges and P Arrow has plenty.
Lunch was served afield overlooking a beautiful horseshoe shaped lake that I am sure was home to many largemouth bass. We hunted our was back in the afternoon, rotating pairs of guns between the four of us. The two none shooters relaxed aboard the jeep and never missed an opportunity to comment on the missed shot of one of our friends.
The day ended where it started, at the lodge. To my suprise, Mr. Pruitt's favorite pointer, who was locked up on a covey just an hour before, was curled up on the couch enjoying a warm fire and college football, and I was more than happy to join my new hunting friend.
for more info see: http://www.parrow.net/