Thursday, January 22, 2009

2009 Update

My apologies for the absence of new posts. I have a few updates that may be of interest. First, we have planted an additional 27 acres in longleaf pine. This was done last week, just in time for a good rain. Our forester is one of the most upstanding individuals in the industry and I am always happy to see his prompt and expertly executed handy work. In a week or so we will burn a large portion of our pineland which will result in one of my favorite sights, the explosive rebirth of the forest in the spring.

Also, my father has begun the undertaking of rasing quail at his home for release at the farm. The idea is to release young quail that will take up residence at Bollingbrook and procreate. We will see...

Finally, turkey season is approaching and although my spring schedule is full of family, work and a trip to Argentina I hope to try my hand at calling in a tom once or twice. However, luck usually sides with the longbeard when the hunter has as little time in the woods as I. Till next time.

No comments: